The Hook Bait Company
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Thames

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

River Thames Empty River Thames

Post  micfoot807 Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 am

I think I might be ploughing a bit of a lone furrow with this one but, hey ho I`ll chuck it in here and see what develops. Could spend a lot of time talking to myself on this thread though...no change there.

Will get out for a couple of evenings this week, conditions permitting and I`ll let you all know how I get on and how long the blanks were (sounds of words echoing around an empty room Rolling Eyes )

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

River Thames Empty Re: River Thames

Post  nairny Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Jesus Christ Mic, you know how to cheer a bloke up. Caught on the stour today not as manic as yesterday but still good. Really must come up and struggle with you!!! Smile
nairny
nairny

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:32 am

I`m quite upbeat at the moment, you should hear me when I`m feeling sorry for myself Laughing I all fairness if it bothered me, I`d just up sticks and head for the Kennet or Loddon, where I know I`d get more alot more action. I actually like it to be difficult, it keeps the grockles away.

Managed to pass the Thames today, looked in great nick, will get out tomorrow (tues) after work. who knows I might even have something to report. Cool

Last edited by micfoot807 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : still an idiot)
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  nairny Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Good luck mate, hope you get some action. Keep us posted. I have fished the Thames a few times in the past, a moody cow of a river at the best of times
eh!!! Suspect
nairny
nairny

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Late finishing work tonight, didn`t get on the bank til gone 5.30. Decided to use the 3B boilies I blagged off Darren at the GSG do and glad I did. Decided to go with a tip rod and cage feeder loaded with boilie chops, tuna, some dynamite stick mix (sorry Darren) and belachan. Fluoro hooklinks to a side hooked boilie on a size 6, about 15" hooklink.

Numpty boaters had moored their gin palace in my first choice swim so, half a mile downstream to the lock cut/ weir and a few feeders of splunge hoofed into the spot just adjacent to the timbers above the weir. The next feeder punched out was fully armed and I sat back to enjoy my first cuppa. A short time passed then over she goes, good scrap and a 6.06lb chub is in the net, quick ground shot and back it goes. Half hour later repeat performance, this time 5lb14oz, baits back out short time later the tip wrenches round again and I muff the strike, I feel the fish bump off and know that, that will probably be the kiss of death. Thats how it turned out, home in time to see the death throws of Arsenal in the Champions league.

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 am

Thames looks in good order still, well it did in Oxford where I was today. Will move heaven and earth to get on the banks tomorrow evening, feeling confident, still got some 3B boilies left so a second outing for them.

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:12 am

The river still looks absolutely bang on, I know anglers on other rivers might not appreciate this but the Thames is so rarely in good condition these days its quite exciting just sitting by it when you actually expect a bite or two. Its either being run off to keep navigation happy or held back to keep navigation happy, don`t worry about keeping bloody anglers happy!!

Once again my two first choice swims were non starters because they had gin palaces parked in them so a drive a mile or so down stream and into another chubby looking area. This chub swim is about 400 yrds long so I plonked down at the head of it and put the first rod right on the crease and the second about 60 yrds downstream. Rigs; 12lb fluorocarbon mainline, half oz running backlead, 2oz inline lead(semi fixed), 15lb herculine heavy, braid hooklink, size 12 with a 3B boilie hair rigged tight to the shank. Small mesh pva bag of boilie chops, pellet and liquidised bread was given the job of attracting a chevin or two. 3 false casts to each spot to get a little bait in (hopefully not too much or the bream will home in) and pour a nice cuppa. The weathers obviously improving, several boats plough past and just to be sure their wash hasn`t dispersed the little bait I`ve put another couple of false casts in each spot and as darkness approaches the tip goes over and a few yards of line wrench from the reel. The rod transmits the satisfying boring of something other than bream and swftly a chub slips over the drawstring of the net, 5lb5oz says the scales. Both rods rebaited and recast, 15 minutes pass and the downstream rod mimics the first and pulls round, again its not a bream, better fight this time and another chub in the net, 5lb11oz and I`m feeling very happy with life, thats just about to change as the bream now find me. Too much bait put in initially probably and a succession of slimy herberts thump their way to the bank, nothing substantial so they are all unhooked in the margins, don`t want my net snotty. Then just before I run out of tea the upstream rod hoops over and a steady stream of line pours off the spool, something heavy moves out into the current and chugs out beyond midriver, upstream past me and I apply plenty of pressure to turn it back. Whatever it is swings back and holds in front of me, thumping in the flow then moves downstream and I feel the horrible sensation of the line grating against some unseen subsurface obstruction, the fish perhaps sensing this renews its efforts and plunges ahead and suddenly..it`s gone, "damn and blast!" I said as the line fluttered limply from the rod. A few more slimy pests come to the bank and it`s time to throw it all back in the car and head for the chippy.

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Managed to blag a day off today, eventually got to the Thames after sitting on the A3 and M25 for well over an hour. Very busy on the banks but I suppose it was to be expected on the last day. Fished feeder and flake for the bulk of the day with no joy, having to move swims on several occasions because bloody numpties, with no idea, dropped in below or above me and proceeded to deposit all their spare bait into the river, not realising that all they were doing was ringing the bream bell loud and clear. Having had my share of the mucus laden plague on Friday I did not want a repeat performance so each time, as their bait hit the water, my gear went into the back of the car and off to pastures new. The bread attack didn`t work so as darkness approached I opted for a hell hole of a swim in which I knew at least I`d have a little peace and quiet from other anglers and broke out the last of my 3B boilies. A few crumbed up and pva bagged with a mixture of multiple sized pellets coupled with a 3oz semi fixed in line lead, short braid hooklink to size 12 Solar X strong hook,3B boilie mounted on a hair tight to the shank. No freebies other than the bags and both rods placed as close to the snags as I dare, tips tightened until the leads almost shift and rods locked into the rests, everything taught and ready. About an hour later the upstream rod nodded once and slammed over, I was on it instantly and walked backwards 20 paces or so to ease it away from the snags. It kicked into open water and a very dogged fight ensued, once under rod top it refused to come up in the water and was obviously a barbel. Eventually I managed to coax it up and over the waiting net, a glance at it in the water and I thought it was a nice double, it wasn`t until I placed it on the unhooking mat and it rolled on its side that I realised quite how deep bodied (fat) it was. With a sense of anticipation I lifted the weigh sling and the dial went past 13, past 14, past 15 and 11 ozs more. A new PB on the last day and a Thames barbel of 15lb11oz was more than I could have dreamed of, I`m just glad I`d saved a few 3Bs for the last day.

Mic

Last edited by micfoot807 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : god damned idiot)
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:32 am

Thames was surprisingly quiet last night, had the banks to myself, now thats a rarity Laughing

Had a drink at a river side pub before you all get the wrong idea Wink

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  Screamingbuzzer Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:00 am

Was it the swan in staines mic ?
Screamingbuzzer
Screamingbuzzer

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am

Hello Justin,

No, I have had a tipple there though, very pleasant. No I was in The Weir at Sunbury. Just an excuse to drag the missus out to the river.

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  nairny Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:54 am

The delectable Helen in a boozer, whatever next Very Happy
nairny
nairny

Back to top Go down

Post  Screamingbuzzer Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Afternoon mic, very nice there it's just down the road from me ! Small world !!
Screamingbuzzer
Screamingbuzzer

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Iain,

Getting Helen in a boozer is the easy bit, getting her out again is the problem. You can usually tell if she`s been in a pub by the scratch marks along the bar as I try to drag her out again.

Justin,
You`re right it is a small world but I wouldn`t want to paint it!
If thats local to you, you`ll have to join me on the Thames for a session some time. We might blank but I`m sure we`ll have a laugh.

Mic

Last edited by micfoot807 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my brain dribbles information too slowly)
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  Screamingbuzzer Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Mic,
Thankyou for the offer, I would like that & we will have a laugh even if it's just watching me trying to work out what to do on moving water !! Not my thing but trying to learn !!
Screamingbuzzer
Screamingbuzzer

Back to top Go down

Post  nairny Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Yeah mic we have the same problem in this household. That's why my my nails are worn to the bone and my hair is getting a " little" thin on top. On the plus side Kim has biceps to die for. Very Happy
nairny
nairny

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:38 am

Lost a mate to the Thames a couple weeks ago, drowned at Cookham lock. Third aquaintence of mine to fall victim to this river.

So, there I was fishing a moody little spot on the Thames last Friday, when a couple of "carp anglers" roll up, launch a 12ft dinghy, load all their mountain of gear in, including bedchairs and then when their 2 mates arrive squeeze them on board along with their bikes. They then set off across a Thames weir pool using just 1 oar and not a lifejacket in sight. I didn`t know whether to laugh or cry, some people seem to want to win the Darwin award for ridding humanitys gene pool of its less desirable occupants.

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  baitboss Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Alright Mic, hows is the fishing going down on old father Thames...any joy? Surely its time it threw up another biggie for you? Very Happy
baitboss
baitboss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:03 am

Darren

Not had a lot to report Mate, Thames has been most unresponsive to most of my aquaintances this season. The only things of note this summer were a number of roach up to 1lb14oz caught on 14mm boilies and 3oz semi fixed leads, hardly cricket eh?

That said I had a bit of a brainwave a couple of weeks ago, because of the pitiful low flows on the Thames all season I had been racking my brain where I might give myself a chance of a bite from anything but preferably a chub. The weir pools with all their extra flows and oxygenation would seem like the best option but in my experience, although they do contain chub, they are also very snaggy on the Thames. Tackle losses can been extreme and obviously others losing gear add to the problem by leaving yards of trailing line between snags too.

I had a bit of a moment whilst at work (you know what I do) and it struck me that another area with regular, if intermittent flows, that receives little attention ( for good reasons) is the area directly downstream of the locks. Now there are rules about fishing close to locks (no closer than 100mtrs generally) but I knew that there are currently a couple of Thames lock houses that are unoccupied. I elected to wait til dark and give it a go below one of them. Things went to plan and I found myself in position set up about 25mtrs below the lock, 2 baits (10mm boilies, small pva bag of bits and 3oz semi fixed lead) in the zone affected by the flushing action when they drain the locks, sittting and waiting. Presently 2 boats use the lock, they drain the lock, open the gate and move off down stream. Almost immediately one of the rods hoops round, fish on! I commence to play the fish when round goes the other rod, I pick it up strike,engage the baitrunner and lock it back onto the rests. The first fish is landed, I look in the net, it`s a good chub, I leave it there, foot on the landing net handle and proceed to see if the other is still there. It is, I repeat the process and net this one along with the other. 10 minutes of organised chaos and the result...a brace of chub, 6lb5oz and 6lb10oz...I love it when a plan comes together. No more boats, no more flow, no more chub mmmmm, food for thought.

I haven`t been able to get back in the spot to try again but until we have some rain and the flow picks up, I know what I`ll be trying again as soon as an opportunity presents itself. Unfortunately I only have a couple of ground shots of the brace (forgot my tripod and on my own as usual).

What do you reckon? could the lock flushing have been the trigger, not conclusive but interesting none the less.

Mic

Last edited by micfoot807 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : numpty)
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  nairny Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 am

I think your on to something mate, all that flush is bound to stir up the natural food and get them hunting, similar things happen on the Stour, just as the river starts to come up, the faster it rises the better, if you are there at the right moment action can be fast and furious then subside just as quick. Good thinking that man Idea
nairny
nairny

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am

Mr Nairn,

Still got your hat tied on, don`t let Grommit off his lead, you`ll never see him again. Razz

There is one fundamental flaw in my plan and that is that angling that close to the locks is positively "verboten", "interdit" or as they say around here strictly prohibited. It`s not something I could get away with on a regular basis, lock keepers by and large are Little Hitlers absolutely full of their own piss and importance, so the odds on sweet talking one are slim. Especially if they read that last comment.

Better chance of getting away with it in the winter but then usually there is not so much of a problem with low flows then but if this current situation with such a lack of water continues I know I`ll have to give it another go and damn the consequences. Iain, might have to use the "pacifier" and then leg it if I`m accosted by an angry lock keeper. Twisted Evil

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  nairny Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 am

Hats on backwards, as they say in the US of A Cool "Verboten" for you!thats a first, anyway you can borrow my "black spinners" ticket, that will do the trick. As for the Little Hitlers, pig the "Pacifier" will defo deal with them. Failing that we need some rain mate and lots of it, is anyone else out there experiencing lack of action due to the conditions? or is it just me and Mic, oh and Lampard king is in the same boat, so we are in good company. Crying or Very sad
nairny
nairny

Back to top Go down

Post  baitboss Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 am

Alright Mic?
Good things come to those who 'THINK'..nice bit of strategic angling there mate study I do think that the action of the boat traffic stirring up the bottom instigates the fish into feeding mode and even if you only have a thirty minute window of opportunity then its is well worth the effort of getting there for that short period if it can throw up results like that for you.
With regard to minimum fishing distance from lock gates, you could always pva bag your end tackle, walk down towards the area you want to fish and throw it in. You were 'feeding the ducks werent you?'
baitboss
baitboss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TenchmanTim Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 am

Hi Chaps,
Sounds to me like the same old grumbles are rumbling around most of the country, no flow, no colour, no hope! As I write we are having a spot or two of rain, but not enough I feel.
I think the main reason I'm not catching is because I'm not fishing much!! But I'm sure it's hard enough to get excited about going down your local river in these conditions if you've got an outside chance of a biggie. When the best you can realisticly hope for is a 'five' it's hard to get motivated. Negative stuff I know, but there you are!
Even a trip 'down south' found the Test and particularly the Avon struggling along!
Still the little buggers are still in there somewhere, so I ought to have a go soon!
Tight lines all, Martin
TenchmanTim
TenchmanTim

Back to top Go down

Post  micfoot807 Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:20 am

Martin

Hello mate, motivation is a funny thing, I rarely feel particularly motivated unless I`m suddenly getting a run of good luck, by and large it`s more a case of bloody mindedness in my case. I think motivation, like confidence can be as counter productive as it is productive. It`s such an arbitrary concept that I believe you just have to have the right mind set and be driven by that rather than rely on something over which you have no control. I actually think my attitude to my angling has helped me to stick it out on the Thames, where blanks (for all species at the moment) are the norm and the rewards, although magnificent when they come, are few and far between. Don`t get me wrong I still have periods when I feel confident and others when I feel motivated but I don`t let that dictate the frequency with which I go fishing. The brace of chub I had recently came after a run of 16 blanks and were the first from the Thames this season, if confidence, especially, had any influence over my angling I would have given up much earlier.

As far as size goes, as my missus says..........

Mic
micfoot807
micfoot807

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next