The Hook Bait Company
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Consultants

Go down

The Consultants Empty The Consultants

Post  baitboss Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Iain Nairn did me the honour of becoming my very first consultant way back in 2008 and has been instrumental in promoting the effectiveness of 3-B with his jaw-dropping run of big chub and barbel from his beloved Dorset Stour. 'Chub God' has kindly penned a few lines about his early chub years.

My early years chub fishing on the upper Dorset Stour were a hit and miss affair to say the least, usually ledgering bread with a cage feeder. Then one day I hooked and landed a chub 19” long which was a big fish for me in those days. It was from that point that my passion for chub fishing was ignited and I knew I just had to catch more chub, and bigger ones at that. I turned my attention to the free stretches of the river, and with some success my ambition grew and Throop was next on my hit list. Throop gave me my first ‘six’ and after a couple of years I met a guy called Rupert Morrell who was as keen as I was and had a passion for the Hampshire Avon. A partnership was formed and we have remained friends for many years. Throop was the starting point, fishing mainly maggot feeder or float, and after sorting the feeder rig it became a devastating tool. We also fished the Avon of which Ruperts’ knowledge was boundless. Some huge chub were being caught from the middle reaches of the Stour so this was the next focus of our next challenge. Using mainly boilies and paste we caught some huge fish, giving us both personal bests with Rupert bagging a chub of 7lb 11oz and me not far behind with one of 7lb 10oz. Great times indeed,
I joined the chub study group and became club secretary after a few seasons. Not long after, Darren joined the group and he also used boilies for chub and as I found out he was manufacturing them. Darren asked me if I wanted to field test his baits but Trigga boilies from Nutrabaits were my preferred choice. I was reluctant to change for fear my catch rate would suffer, how wrong could I have been! Initially starting with River Secret the big chub took a liking for them from the off, but after a year or so Darren developed 3-B. This bait now forms the mainstay of my chub fishing, switching to matching paste come autumn and winter. The only times these are not used is in prolonged cold spells such as the arctic conditions we have experienced this winter when trotted maggots are my choice of bait. When the river is in full flood and coloured then my cheese paste is used, although 3-B paste will work as well but I love trotting and making my own cheese paste!

The Consultants Picmon11
baitboss
baitboss
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Consultants Empty Re: The Consultants

Post  baitboss Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Angler Profile - Lee Swords (Big River Consultant)

Hello, I started fishing at the age of 4 or 5 on the Lincolnshire drains before slowly progressing my fishing abilities via a hard apprenticeship on big northern reservoirs that were stocked with absolutely zero carp.

Eventually however I became proficient enough with a rod and reel to be allowed on the coach trips that went further afield from Sheffield and that is where I made "first contact " with the Trent...Everything after that point was inevitable, the commercial fishery evolution simply accelerated the issue and it was my natural progression in angling to leave match fishing behind and concentrate my efforts on fishing the Trent, initially the non-tidal Trent but soon after the tidal Trent came calling. Initially I fished for everything but very quickly I found that barbel and big chub were a passion that would be impossible to ignore.

Nothing beats fishing for bigger than average fish on a hard to master big river that is intent on taking no prisoners and showing no mercy.

The Consultants Lee_co10
baitboss
baitboss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  baitboss Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:06 pm

In Profile: Terry Theobald - Big fish angler and author

I have to admit I was extremely pleased when Terry came on board looking for something new. Terry has an impressive list of fish captures built up on a reputation for dedication to all aspects of angling and has an army of reputable friends and colleagues within the big fish word.

There are few anglers with a deep rooted love and passion for angling more than Theo! He was introduced to our sport by his non fishing Father over fifty years ago when he was just four years old and has never looked back. Being an all round angler he can be found on all manner of venues and is quite happy fishing for bream and carp on a windswept gravel pit to trotting for roach and chub on a pleasant little chalk stream.
Being an angler who seeks the larger fish of a species he has amassed an impressive tally of big fish over the years including carp over 40lb, bream over 16lb, barbel over 14lb, and chub over 7lb amongst many other!
In recent times he has written two books WELL AND TRULY HOOKED and A YEAR ON THE WATER and both have been received well by the angling world.

The Consultants Terry_10
baitboss
baitboss
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum